Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I connect to VMware ESXi environments?
Many companies rely on VMware solutions for virtualization. Because good interoperability is important to us, we’ve optimized our software to deliver storage for VMware.
Can I run several clusters at the same time?
You can operate any number of clusters with croit. However, you need a separate Layer 2 network and a separate management VM for each cluster. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to manage multiple clusters from a single management server. If you run several clusters, you get the quantity discount for all OSDs of all installed clusters.
Can I use my existing S3 app with croit?
Do I need a backup of the management node?
As always, it is important to have backups. Therefore, it is also important to create functioning backups for our management nodes.
You can learn more about how to backup the management node in our blog.
How big can CephFS scale?
How can my company benefit from croit?
As a customer-oriented company, croit offers a number of advantages over other solutions. This gives you as a customer direct access to our specialized consultants who, thanks to years of experience, get the most out of your infrastructure. In addition, we offer special Service Level Agreements (SLA), through which you receive round-the-clock support.
With croit you can build and operate clusters quickly, easily and reliably Ceph. In addition, croit offers a variety of additional functions based on standardized open source components. These include NFS-Ganesha, High-Availability (HA) with Keepalived, statistics using Graphite and much more.
Is it difficult to perform an update?
With our goal of making all work steps as simple and convenient as possible, we have of course also set up the regular and important software updates in a simple workflow.
An update of the management node for example, can be achieved, with the following commands.
docker pull croit/croit:latest docker rm -f croit docker run --net=host --restart=always --volumes-from croit-data --name croit -d croit/croit:latest
Is it possible to migrate existing clusters?
If you already have a Ceph installation and want to manage it more easily and reliably with croit, our software offers a simple takeover function.
All you have to do is enter 4 simple information in the welcome dialog and croit takes over the existing cluster. From this moment on you can start new servers easily and conveniently via network boot to extend your existing cluster.
What are the advantages of block storage?
- Block storage is a common paradigm.
- Traditional file systems are widely used and reliable.
- Any programming language can easily work with files.
- File permissions and limitations are enabled via the file systems.
- You can take snapshots to return to a previous state.
- Thanks to its low IO latency, it is also ideally suited for databases.
- Ideal for virtual servers.
What are the advantages of object storage?
- A simple RESTful API, with clients available for all major operating systems and programming languages.
- Quite easy to scale even to billions of objects.
- Additional metadata can be stored on each object.
- The I/O requirements to the underlying hardware are low.
- Caching can greatly improve performance.
- Can be integrated into modern applications and accessed from remote.
- Good integration with erasue coding to save additional underlying disk space.
- Individual plugins can be attached to solve complex problems.
- Client side PGP based encryption for increased security.
What are the benefits of the network boot?
croit provides a uniqe solution to build and run your cluster. Starting from the croit management node, you can boot your storage hardware over the network. As a result, you save costs and time.
Furthermore, it facilitates daily operation, as it automates update processes and increases reliability, for example. In addition, in the event of an error, a new, clean and error-free operating system can be started by a simple server reboot, which automatically recognizes the hardware and starts up the services again.
All operating system images are checked by croit for known problems and run through a comprehensive test protocol. Of course you can also use your own PXE boot images if you have special requirements.
What are the disadvantages of block storage?
- A block device can only be used by a single client.
- Only the meta data known in the file system can be stored. Additional information therefore increases complexity.
- You need to mount the block device in order to get access to the data.
- A filesystem is required before you can put files on the block device.
- You need to take care of more different tasks like choosing the right filesystem for your requirement.
- Size are somewhat limited by filesystems and handling problems when it comes to large block devices.
What are the disadvantages of object storage?
- You can’t use object storage with traditional databases.
- High latency for each object access.
- Updates of object requires rewrite of the complete object.
- Badly suited for frequently changing data.
- Only limited support to mount an object storage as a filesystem.
- Access is only possible with additional client software.
What happens if I do not renew my license?
Since the operation of your cluster has the highest priority, it has no effect when the license expires. You will only receive a warning within our software alerting you to the problem.
After a transition period, however, the functions in the web interface that are no longer licensed will be blocked. Enterprise features that have already been set up, however, will continue to work, but can no longer be changed.
As soon as you renew the license, all control functions are available in our software.
What is block storage?
Block-based storage interfaces are the most common way to store data. A virtual block device simulates a traditional hard disk. From the application’s point of view, there is no difference to a dedicated hard disk.
What is CephFS?
CephFS is a POSIX-compliant file system ontop of a Ceph cluster. CephFS can be used on any number of clients simultaneously and changes are immediately applied to all clients. With CephFS you get a scalable file system that you can use as usual to store your data. In Linux servers you can make this completely transparent for the respective application. Whenever you need more space, you just need to expand your cluster to instantly store more data in the same file system.
What is croit storage?
croit provides a intuitive, advanced and reliable software to build and run Ceph in production. With our software management solution, you can bring up Ceph clusters within a few minutes.
What is Erasure code?
What is object storage?
Since it provides interfaces compatible with OpenStack Swift and Amazon S3, the Ceph Object Gateway has its own user management.
Where can i find information about the next release?
In the past, we have been asked frequently which features we are currently working on, what functions are on the roadmap and what goals we have for our innovative Ceph storage management solution. In order to allow our users to participate in the development of our software, a new Trello Board has been created.
Where can I find your API documentation?
You can get to our API documentation by visiting this page.
Which processors support croit?
Which server manufacturers are supported?
In general, croit works on all servers on the market. Nevertheless, we cannot test against every manufacturer. There is good experience with servers from Supermicro and Dell, which are used by a large number of customers. If you are unsure, we offer tested, guaranteed functioning hardware in individual configuration.